Town of Brooklin, Maine
Dog licenses expire on December 31st.
Late fees are applied beginning Feb 1st.
Brooklin, Maine was incorporated as the town of Port Watson on June 9, 1849 and a few weeks later, the name was changed to Brooklin on July 23, 1849. The community was named for the brook line that separated the towns of Brooklin and Sedgwick.
The population was 841 at the 2000 census and the town has a total area of 41.2 square miles of which, 18.0 square miles of it is land and 23.2 square miles is water.
One of Brooklin’s best known residents was E.B. White author of Charlotte’s Web, The Trumpet of the Swan and Stuart Little. E.B. White was a long time writer for The New Yorker and he and his wife, Katharine, a founding editor of The New Yorker, are both buried in a Brooklin cemetery. James Russell Wiggins, a former Washington Post editor and a former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations also lived in Brooklin.
The village has a general store — truly the center of Brooklin and a great source for information — a restaurant, church, inn and town office building. It also has a village green enjoyed by hundreds during the 4th of July events every year, a wonderful library, several boat building businesses and the home of WoodenBoat Magazine and the WoodenBoat School.